Writing for magazines has become a trend for many freelance writers. This kind of job pays well as magazines target high net worth personalities as well as high profile individuals and celebrities from all over the world. They put the best fashion ideas out there as well as setting the trend for fashion lovers around the world.
Latest news in celebrity fashion, hair makeup, different styles and total makeover is all part of the content that is covered in fashion magazines.
These magazines normally target women and online casino players who have a decent income and on average, it is the age between 18 to 60.
These women are the target as they strive to look better after having babies or young women trying to avoid the fate of age.
Hence, these women chase the best fashion on the market and want to stay ahead and keep up with their lavish lifestyles. The purpose of fashion in their life is not only to look young and beautiful but also to live the “glamour and glitz” lifestyle. These women invest heavily in fashion and apparels while at the same time keeping up with the current technology.
In this article, we share how freelancers can write fashion magazines and what they need to guide them.
Knowing What Articles Are In Demand Is Key
The main key to be successful in writing fashion magazines is embracing the celebrity life. This is because celebrities like Oprah Winfrey, Kim Kardashian, and Lady Gaga, contribute greatly and influence consumer shopping. This is especially for women between 18 and 30 years old.
Moreover, reality shows like Project Runway, Real Housewives of New Jersey, and Joan Rivers’ Fashion Police, influence fashion and shopping trends. That is as a freelancer you will need to keep up with the latest trends to stay above your game.
How to Pitch Your Article to the Editor
Realize first how to scale your level of writing experience. Then you also must find out the editorial quality of the fashion magazine you are going out for. If your experience does not meet or exceed the quality of the magazine, then do not waste your time pitching your letters to the editors. The top nationally distributed magazines are usually impossible to “break into”. Reasons for this vary; however, below we have put a list of some of the reasons.
Reasons Why Most Fashion Magazines are Impossible to Break into
- These editors are insanely busy almost all the time. That is they may never have time to go through every letter sent to them.
- These magazines receive a lot of letters on a daily basis and this makes it impossible to respond to every one of them.
- The editors rely on an established pool of experienced freelance writers. They give repeat assignments to proven writers. In most cases, they keep giving assignments to those they have worked with before.
- The percentage of new freelance writers per issue is probably less than 1%.
- The editors work only with proven freelance writers who have developed a good name in this market.